Saturday, April 2, 2011

Top Things I Did This Week To Drive My Kids Crazy

I try to be a fun mom, really. The problem is that I don't like to play board games or sports, or freely hand out money for pop, or buy an endless supply of Hot Pockets. What I really like to do is play pranks. Harmless, no-one-gets-their-feelings-hurt-type pranks.

  1. I love to yell "I'm in There!" when someone knocks on the bathroom door and I am really in the laundry room.

  2. I leave random notes on their FB page for the whole world to see.

  3. I throw their shoes into their shoe cubbies in the mud room. Right where the shoes belong, but the kids go crazy looking for them.

  4. I pause the tv with the DVR, hit skip backwards, then hit skip forward. This makes the tv move frame by frame, which can make the people on tv very funny looking with half open eyes, or mouths really opened wide or just generally hilarious.

  5. Another tv trick I play is to turn the channel to something the kids really don't like to watch, like The Cosby Show, or M*A*S*H. Nothing clears the room faster than 1 minute of Bill Cosby. I don't know why, I always loved listening to his comedy on my parents records.

  6. When their friends come over, I ask the friends about school. Or their parents. Or what they've been up to. I'm always warned later, "Don't do that! You embarrass me!" I make sure I ask more questions next time.

  7. And finally, I wave at their friends as I drive down the street. And I might even honk the horn. All while my kids are cringing in the passenger seats. Ahhh, I love being a mom!