Thursday, October 21, 2010

Natural Remedies

While I know there are many natural remedies for just about anything that ails you, I am convinced of two that work for us. FL was quite young, just a couple of months old and was already on her fourth or fifth ear infection. When the doctor said tubes were our next step, I knew I had to do something. My wonderful and very knowledgeable neighbor gave me garlic capsules to drip into the ears and after about 24 hours the ear infection subsided. The only side effect of the garlic is that FL smelled like a loaf of garlic bread for a couple of days. (Which, by the way, I think is WAY better than an ear infection.) We only had to use the garlic a few times, but it got us past the tube threats.
The other natural remedy I use is actually used on my animals. I add cider vinegar to the drinking water of any critters that seem to have stomach troubles (i.e. poopy butts.) Cider vinegar has worked on very ill chickens, rabbits, and even the puppy. Dosage varies, I usually use two "chugs" from the vinegar jug to a gallon of water, for a couple of days, seems to clear things up. Just thought I'd share that.