Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Please Excuse Me While I Rant


Went to a new Wally World yesterday. Was scoping out the camping section and then decided to get some cereal. Most stores have a list-type sign hanging at the aisle ends, like: "cereal, juice, baby food." Or "bread, coffee, tea." This store listed one item on each sign. "Breakfast foods." Another sign"Dairy." Another sign "Frozen Foods." Another sign "Hispanic Foods."


Wait. WHAT? "Hispanic Foods?" what happened to "International Foods" or "Speciality Foods" Now don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less what race people are, I really don't care. But I live in the United States of AMERICA. Where was the sign for AMERICAN foods? Maybe the Asian-Americans should be upset also. There was no sign for "Oriental /Asian Foods" either. I am so tired of picking up a box of whatever and after 2 minutes of trying to read the ingredients or directions, I finally find the ENGLISH version. I don't think I should have to learn another language if I don't EVER plan on leaving the United States of AMERICA.


Now, some people do have a gift in learning languages, and that is wonderful! Teachers who teach English to those who have just moved here from another country, those who are translators for our government, etc. I have nothing but admiration for them. They speak English FIRST (because they are AMERICANS!) and the other languages SECOND. I do not have this gift. So I speak ENGLISH, read ENGLISH, hear ENGLISH. Now I will get down off my soapbox. Thank you for listening in ENGLISH.