Friday, April 23, 2010

Lesson to learn

Prayer was something I was taught at a young age, at home, at Sunday School, and everyday at my church-run school. "Pray without ceasing" is something I try to do. My problem is that I have to work on praying specifically. "Lord, I really need some money today." And He provides by letting me find a dime on the walkway. Ok, I should have asked for Him to pay that bill in full, my fault. "Lord, I know a snowstorm is coming and I messed up by not planning ahead and am out of bread. Please let the store have bread left." He provides by the store shelves still full but of the most expensive bread there is. My fault again, I should have said our usual cheap bread. And yet again today, I didn't pray correctly. Today was the start of garage sale season here and as I drove to the first sale, I was mentally making a list of what I should be looking for. Clothes for FL, water dishes for the rabbits, canning jars. "Lord, the boys could really use clothes. It would be nice to find some." We went to the sale, but no boy clothes in their sizes. Not discouraged though, it was the first sale of the season and I know the Lord will not let my teens go to school naked. I went thru the work of the day, which eventually led me to the garden to plant the peas. Seeing the neighbor, I stopped to say hi. We talked for a minute, and suddenly he said that he had come across some clothes that might fit my boys. (Thank you Lord! I knew you heard me!) "Come on over, they're in the back of my truck," said the neighbor. Almost skipping with happiness, I followed him to his driveway. I about fell on my face when I saw he didn't mean his pickup truck, he meant his DUMPTRUCK. Yes, a dumptruck, albeit, a small one, but never the less, a dumptruck full of clothes. As I spent the next four (4) hours going thru the clothes, I reminded myself again, "Pray more specifically next time, girl! I mean seriously, how many clothes can a boy need? Thank you Lord for providing the boys jeans for the next few YEARS. Please help me be a good steward and keep the clothes organized, clean, and oh, Lord, can you provide another shelf for these clothes? Just the right size shelf, or dresser or space, just exactly what these clothes need? Thank you Lord. Amen."